10.04.2012

Print

Do you ever wonder why some people use bold to emphasize something whereas other people use all caps?  And who underlines anymore?  Underlining is a holdover from printing presses.  It meant that the printer should set the font in italics.  Underline was never actually meant to be printed.  When people use all caps I feel like they're screaming at me.  Or they're super busy.  I think fonts and styles we say has something to do with our personalities.  But I wonder what it says about us.  That we're quirky?  That we're loud?  That swirlies are girly?  Sometimes we're intentional with these aspects of written language, and sometimes we're too rushed.  But I think they have more rhetorical effect than we realize.  Someone should do a study on this.  I should do a study on this.  I'm sure people have done studies on this.  I should read the studies done on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment